Please read this article before you contact us. We are now accepting all tax-exempt forms* but your account has to be set up prior to ordering and you receive a confirmation email. We will not be refunding tax on an order that was not set up first.
Nexus Tax Law
In June 2018, the US Supreme Court ruled that because more and more sales are being done online, that States can create economic nexus laws to help States collect more sales tax and to help brick and mortar stores even the playing field with eCommerce businesses. Since then, many states have passed economic nexus laws. InStockLabels.com is now required to meet the States economic nexus laws and collect sales tax for that state.
If you are being charged a tax from us. It is because:
1. We have some type of physical presence in your State.
2. Your State has passed an economic tax law that we are required to meet based on our sales into that State.
*At this time, we will accept all tax exemption forms. Please be aware that all exemption certificates that we receive will be validated first before tax exemption is granted. Please make sure your tax exemption certificate is up to date and is a legitimate certificate.
We ship hundreds of orders every day on a streamlined process. Any issues with your tax exemption certificate may cause delays in the ordering process.
Common Exemption Certificate Errors:
- Missing Signatures/does not include the signature of the accepted signer
- Missing issue date
- Incorrect claim type/certificate not accepted
- Document (letter, email) not recognized by State taxing authorities
- Includes name or address other than direct buyer or seller
- Showing State ID for the wrong State
Article is closed for comments.